Limerick Poems have 5 LINES with a set rhythm and rhyme pattern:
- LINE 1: 3 stresses, rhyme A (setting up the “story” conflict)
- LINE 2: 3 stresses, rhyme A (more information about the people)
- LINE 3: 2 stresses, rhyme B (here we read/hear the solution)
- LINE 4: 2 stresses, rhyme B (how is this conflict/problem solved?)
- LINE 5: 3 stresses, rhyme A (back to the beginning again)
Take a look at these limerick poems on the right. Read the Example 1 aloud and then solve the puzzles in Example 2.